Dear GIS Monitor readers,
GIS Monitor's publisher, Reed Business Geo, Inc. has ceased publication of this weekly electronic newsletter effective December 31, 2007. We will all miss the Monitor's timely news and insights, but you can continue to access past issues in the archives on this site.
— Reed Business Geo
Intersect Column in Professional Surveyor
Professional Surveyor Magazine — published, like GIS Monitor, by Reed Business Geo, Inc. — has launched a new monthly GIS column titled "Intersect" and subtitled "2 Professionals … 2 Opinions … 2 Points of View". You can access the columns from here:
- September 2008, "Do Hard Times Call for Hard Sell?"
- August 2008, "RESPECT: Two professions, two opinions, two points of view … does it equal six points of r-e-s-p-e-c-t?"
- July 2008, "Associations: Just Acronyms or Real Jems?"
- June 2008, "Progress or Regress: After two years of intersecting, which is it?"
- May 2008, "Differences: Is the gap between surveying and GIS getting smaller?"
- April 2008, "Attributes: How do you make a surveyor understand the importance of all the attributes, not just the X/Y/Z coordinates??"
- March 2008, "Collaboration: Are you cashing or clashing with your GIS and surveying team members?"
- February 2008, "Laser-scanning Projects: What Role Can GIS/Surveying Play?"
- January 2008, "How Do You Exceed Your Client's Expectations?"
- December 2007, "Terms of the Trade: Will learning the new "five-dollar" buzzwords return more than pocket change?"
- November 2007, "The Business Side of GIS and Surveying: Will it bring you dollars for your sense?"
- October 2007, "Morphing Your Clients: How do you turn a survey client into a GIS client, and vice versa?"
- September 2007, "Subsurface Utility Engineering: When can intersecting with SUE benefit both surveying and GIS?"
- August 2007, "GIS Fieldwork — What type of fieldwork will GIS professionals be doing in the next few years, and how can surveyors take a leadership role in the process?"
- July 2007, "What's the Smart Solution for Mapping Shifting Sands?"
- June 2007, "Does GIS Help Surveyors Get the Job Done Better and Faster?"
- May 2007, "How Can We Attract Young People to Our Professions?"
- April 2007, "Field Data Collections — Hands on or hands off?"
- March 2007, "If a professional is transitioning from one field to another, what does he or she need to know?"
- February 2007, "Upcoming ACSM and GITA Conferences: What's in Them for You?"
- January 2007, "What Are Your New Year's Resolutions?"
- December 2006, "As Ethical Professionals, What Can and Can't We Do?"
- November 2006, "GIS and Surveying Professionals: Too Young, Too Old, or Does it Matter?"
- October 2006, "What Three Things Can We Do to Make a Difference in the Other's Profession?"
- September 2006, "Handheld or handwritten: Should GIS databases replace survey field books?"
- August 2006, "GIS uses coordinates. Surveyors use measurements. Same thing or miles apart?"
- July 2006, "CAD: How do GIS and survey professionals use it to their benefit?"
- June 2006, "Is education the best way to "intersect" the surveying and GIS professions?"
- May 2006, "In this Fast-Paced World of Technology, How do We Keep up?"
- April 2006, "Together or Separate: What's the Best Plan for Managing the Businesses of GIS and Surveying?"
- March 2006, "Metadata: Powerful Documentation Tool or Gobbledygook Developed by the GIS World?"
- February 2006, "What Are the Optimal Personality Traits, Training, and Experience Needed to Build a Top-notch GIS/Survey Team?"
- January 2006, "Will GIS Software Become a Technology Surveyors Routinely Use?"
- December 2005, "We Speak the Same Language So Why Can't We Communicate?"
- November 2005, "Are Surveyors the Right People to Collect GIS Field Data?"